Helsinki Citizens' Assembly (hCa) Vanadzor in partnership with Helsinki Citizens' Assembly Turkey (Istanbul), organise YavasGamats School for 20 (10 from each country) teachers and teacher candidates from Armenia and Turkey. The previous Yavas-Gamats summer schools for the participation of young teachers and teacher candidates from Turkey and Armenia were organized in 2014, in Kocaeli, Turkey and in 2015 in Aghveran, Armenia, with the aim to contribute to confidence-building between the two societies. Please see: http://www.yavasgamats.org
Another hCa Yavas-Gamats School will be held on 18-22 November 2015 in Armenia. The 5-day programme includes thematic lectures by scholars from a range of disciplines, historians, authors, journalists and film-makers from Armenia and Turkey. The purpose of the School is to contribute to confidence-building between the two societies and strengthen the Armenia-Turkey reconciliation process at the educational level.
Who can apply?
→ Teachers of history or literature in active, professional practice for up to 7 years,
→ University Students in the Education Faculties from Armenia and Turkey.
Application Period: 25 September – 15 October 2015
- Travel and accommodation costs of selected participants will be covered by the organizers.
- Simultaneous interpretation in Armenian & Turkish will be provided throughout the full programme.
The application form is attached.
* “Gamats” & “Yavaş” mean “Slow” in Armenian & Turkish respectively. A previous summer school program with the same title “YavaşGamats” was held in 2005, in Antakya/Turkey.
Conditions of application and evaluation
- Teachers of history and literature in professional practice up to 7 years across Armenia & Turkey,
- University students from across Armenia & Turkey (studying in an history or literature faculty is a preferable asset, solely in terms of project objectives, in the evaluation and identification of participants)
may apply to this program.
- The application deadline of the School is on Thursday, 15 October 2015.
- Upon the review and evaluation of applications, total of 20 participants will be identified, ideally, 10 from each country, observing a balance between professional teachers and teachers-to-be currently studying in education faculties.
- The language of the summer schools will be in Turkish and Armenian. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided throughout the programme. However, the evaluation process will make sure that a sufficient portion of the participants from both countries speak English, in order to facilitate communication amongst participants outside of the programme hours.
- All applicants will be provided a positive or a negative response. The application results will be announced on 18 October 2015.
This School programme is implemented by HCA Vanadzor and Turkey. The project is funded by the United Kingdom Conflict, Security and Stability Fund via the British Embassy in Yerevan.